- Varied & exciting role based within our German factories. To identify new packaging materials, formats, technologies, suppliers, processes etc. that may be exploited to achieve business strategy and agreed business priorities.
- To link with the supply base and Supply Chain and co-packers, form alliances with academia, investigate trades press and exhibitions to scout new opportunities and maintain awareness of competitor and other category packaging activity.
- Through an understanding of consumer needs, packaging and materials technologies, equipment and process capabilities, supply chain capabilities, commercials and business strategy identify potential new packaging opportunities.
- To feed new opportunities to the Concept Development Team with as much information as needed.
- To share and retain ideas and knowledge in an accessible, ongoing format with the Packaging Department and business.
- To agree, prioritise and manage the delivery of all your Packaging work.
- To play an active role as a member of the Packaging Department and any Project Teams to share knowledge and to identify and deliver new opportunities.
- To deliver Packaging work to the Group.
- To identify and deliver agreed number of new packaging opportunities that are aligned with the business strategy.
- To develop a strong awareness of the packaging supply base, our factories and co-packer capabilities and developments, new materials, formats, technologies, suppliers, processes etc. To build strong relations with academia, research institutes and trade to be aware of developments in a timely manner.
- To identify and develop new packaging formats, materials and technologies to deliver competitive advantage and meet consumer needs.
- To maintain strong links with the rest of the Packaging Department and share knowledge.
- To operate to agreed processes and standards in a timely manner with visibility of all work.
- To fully participate in all stages of business processes and cross functional teams to identify and deliver new opportunities.
- Define, set up and manage the key stakeholders necessary to ensure successful delivery of new packaging opportunities.
- Packaging, material, equipment suppliers.
- Academia, research institutes, trade and industry bodies, open innovation networks etc.
- factories and co-packers.
- R&D Packaging, Product & Category etc. throughout Europe
- Consumer Insights
- Innovation teams
Knowledge & Skills, Competencies, Qualifications and Experience:
- Packaging understanding – materials, formats and processes
- Knowledge of emerging global packaging trends / innovations.
- Good understanding of the packaging market and competition.
- Product development.
- Consumer understanding.
- Factory, Co-Packer and Supply Chain understanding.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Analytical thinking.
- Identification of new ideas and technologies to meet business needs.
- Food packaging understanding.
- Project management.
- Aware of consumer demographic data and key studies relevant to own projects and can relate this to work being done.
- Aware how consumers respond to products and can describe this in technical terms.
- Understand how costs of a product are determined and how this drives the success of an R&D project.
- Aware of the technical training available and uses this to improve project delivery.
- Actively seeks ways to share expertise and knowledge by looking for connections between projects across R&D, focusing on opportunities to maintain product competitive advantage.
Developing successful innovation
- Show initiative by working on own ideas that fit to project portfolio of function or team
- Actively manage and deliver projects and/ or tasks according to my project portfolio, communicating progress on the way.
- Write a technical brief based on understanding the consumer needs from an insight or a concept and create or source a high quality prototype which delivers against the brief.
- Can check and ensure that projects comply with stage gate and R&D standards throughout the development cycle.
- Aware of the available options for products, packs and technologies within own area and can share this knowledge with project teams.
- Aware of the main projects and deliverables for own work area and is am curious to learn from other areas..
Developing R&D capability
- Can Lead simple trials or support larger factory or pilot plant trials internally, at co-packers or other Institutions to ensure effective scale up of a product design.
- Understand our key technologies and how they relate to delivering our main products.
- Aware of the key suppliers in own work area and see how their capability and expertise can support work.
- Able to check products comply with specifications and technical briefs and can identify non-compliances against them.
- Understand the types of claims used with our products and provide information to support claim validation.
- Aware of the chemistry of food packaging and recipe design, including the main interactions throughout a product’s lifecycle.
- Relevant Science / Technical / Engineering / Packaging degree.
- Driving licence
- 2 years’ minimum experience within food & drink FMCG.
- Experience of leading packaging changes with co-packers and production sites.
- Engineering and equipment understanding and the interaction with packaging.
- Proven experience in front end innovation, technology sourcing and establishing supply chains.
- Proven expertise in being the packaging expert in European teams across multiple locations to deliver projects effectively.
- German & English Speaker
Resource Partnership (Search & Selection) Limited
Tel: +44(0) 20 7722 6776
Contact: Angela Stanzione